People in cities, communities and villages worldwide have engaged in the International Day of Peace in diverse and meaningful ways.
Here are just some of the many Peace Day activities that have taken place across the globe: *Minute of silence at 12 noon (all timezones) *Peace education events *Intercultural and interfaith dialogues *Workshops on the UN Peace Day theme *Meditation and prayer *Planting peace poles *Community gatherings *Vigils *Concerts and festivals *Soccer/football matches in the spirit of peace *Service to others *Feasts for Peace *Writing peace poetry *Yoga *Marches, parades and flag ceremonies *Public programs with government officials *Engaging youth in peace-building activities.
Engaging in Peace Day can take place privately, as part of a group and/or as a participant in an event or program. The pages in this section – Children & Youth, the Arts, Nonviolence, Environment, Health, Social Justice, etc. offer diverse ideas for observing this global day shared with all humanity.
– Roots and Shoots – Each September, Roots & Shoots groups from around the world celebrate Roots & Shoots and honor the International Day of Peace. Dr. Jane has been a UN Messenger of Peace since 2002 and she inspires us all to live in harmony with nature and each other.
– II Days of Global Unity – The 11 Days of Global Unity aims at strengthening the ideals of unity and equality, diversity and oneness, harmony and compassion and, above all, at advancing the culture of peace.
– Compassion Games International – offers fun and creative ways to ignite and catalyze compassionate action in communities around the world.
– Global Mala (Yoga) Project – Unites yoga, service and collective action, forming a “mala around the earth” based upon the sacred cycle of 108 (108 Surya Namaskar, Mantra, Kriya, Meditation).
– Be the Peace – From Sept. 19 – 21, join the synchronized meditation on-line.
– Peace Crane Project – Create and share peace cranes with people in different parts of the world.
– One Day One Goal – Peace One Day’s campaign using the power of sport to bring people together.
Whatever you choose to do, please pause at 12 Noon local time and join people all across the globe in a Minute of Silence/Moment of Peace.